Top 10 Best Ways To Enjoy a San Diego Summer Night
San Diego is cool during the day, but things really heat up at night! Thanks to these longer summer nights, there are plenty of fun ways to enjoy the city once the sun slips below the horizon. Read on to check out our picks for the best ways to get the most from your San Diego nights.
1.) Check Out the City Lights
San Diego is widely known as one of the most architecturally stunning cities in the world, and for good reason. Our skyline is equal parts impressive and breathtaking. And thanks to the varied landscape of the area, there are some truly breathtaking high-ground spots from which to take in panoramic views of the city lights once night falls. Among the best:
- Mount Soledad — 6905 La Jolla Scenic Dr S, La Jolla, CA
- Centennial Park — 1099 First St, Coronado, CA. 92118
- Shoreline Park, Shelter Island — 2200 Shelter Island Dr, San Diego, CA 92106
- Mister A’s Restaurant — 2550 Fifth Ave, San Diego, CA 92103
2.) Evening Adventures at Local Attractions
San Diego is home to several exceptional attractions that welcome multitudes of guests during the daylight hours. However, many change gears once evening falls, and offer a completely different experience for the night owls. Here are a few of the standouts we recommend adding to your “to-do” list.
- San Diego Nighttime Zoo — Featuring live music, special events, and more.
- Roar & Snore Safari — San Diego Safari Park offers sleepover adventures for the whole family.
- SeaWorld Summer Nights — Seaworld offers light and music displays, live music, floating sea life and nightly fireworks.
3.) Sing Under the Stars
Live music is one of San Diego’s favorite ways to spend summer evenings. Good thing the city gives concert-goers plenty of opportunities to catch performances by incredible artists! So if you’re someone who loves to feel the vibe of amazing musicians kicking out the tunes, here are the best places to get your groove on.
- Humphreys Concerts By the Bay — San Diego’s favorite outdoor amphitheatre.
- Twilight Concerts at Balboa Park — Enjoy summer concerts Tuesdays – Thursdays at the park’s Spreckels Organ Pavilion.
- Rady Shell at Jacobs Park — This bayside amphitheater is home to the San Diego Symphony.
4.) Take a Spooky Tour
San Diego is one of America’s oldest cities. And along with that history comes plenty of folklore — including haunted attractions certain to send chills down your spine. Feeling brave? Check out some of the city’s most popular supernatural sojourns.
- Ghosts & Gravestones — All aboard the trolley for a ghostly guided adventure.
- Haunted San Diego — Walk or ride to some of the city’s spookiest spots.
- Whaley House — This Old Town institution is one of the USA’s most haunted locations.
- El Campo Santo Cemetery — Don’t forget to visit Oculto 477 (the world’s only cemetery-adjacent speakeasy) while here.
5.) Have a Beach Bonfire
A classic late-summer beach bonfire is a fantastic way to while away an evening with friends — making s’mores, roasting hot dogs, and swapping stories. Many beaches in the region allow for lighting a bonfire on the beach. You’re permitted to do so at the following oceanfront spots:
- Pacific Beach — Many fire pits dot the sand at PB. Go ahead and claim one.
- Ocean Beach — Gather round a warm fire in the laid-back vibe of this spot.
- Mission Beach — Stake out a spot near the boardwalk for the best people-watching.
- Shelter Island — Humphreys guests are right nearby some ideal bonfire areas.
(No matter where you get your fire going, be safe, and follow all local regulations.)
6.) Throw Some Axes
Get in touch with your inner lumberjack! Axe-throwing is fast becoming a popular activity nationwide, and San Diego is certainly in on the trend. The city is home to several establishments where you can bust stress as you toss a few hatchets. Here are some good spots to check out:
- AxeVentures San Diego — 3001 El Cajon Blvd #2, San Diego, CA 92104
- Axe Throw San Diego — 9340 Dowdy Dr #105, San Diego, CA 92126
- Axe Thro Co. — 4428 Convoy St Suite 310, San Diego, CA 92111
- Throw It! — 339 7th Ave, San Diego, CA, 92101
7.) Take a Nighttime Cruise
Many cruise charters offer sightseeing cruises when the sun is shining. But there’s certainly something to be said for taking in the sights from the deck of a ship after dark. Here are some of the best night cruises local boat outlets offer:
- Flagship Dinner Cruise — Enjoy fine dining while sailing the bay.
- Glow Boat Rides — Paddle at your own pace, with 360 degrees of illumination and music.
- Sunset Cruise Tour — Drink in stunning sunset views of Mission Bay and your favorite cocktails.
- The Gondola Company — Experience a romantic, European-style trek for two as you gently cruise through the bay to Coronado.
8.) Go Fishing or Diving
Fishing? SCUBA? At NIGHT?!? You bet! During the warmer months, many fish species swim a bit higher in the water at night to take advantage of the cooler waters near the surface. So quite a few charters offer evening fishing excursions any angler should check out! Nighttime diving can also be an incredibly serene experience that’s wholly unique.
- H&M Landing — Charter company that offers several night fishing trips.
- San Diego Tuna Fishing — Several overnight trip types are offered here.
- SCUBA San Diego — Check out bioluminescent marine life on a nighttime dive.
- San Diego SCUBA Dive — Guided night dives in waters full of active sea creatures.
9.) Grab a Late Night Bite
A hunger for adventure doesn’t always keep to a standard schedule. Need a bite late at night? San Diego has you covered. From tacos to tapas, diners to dives, you’re never far from something satisfying, even after dark. Here are a few suggestions for great late night bites. And if you’re still hungry for more, check out this blog from our sister hotel Best Western Plus Island Palms.
- Tacos El Gordo — late-night Tijuana-style tacos across several locations.
- Landini’s Pizzeria — Feed your late-night slice craving until 11pm.
- Mission + Garnet Food Hall — Stop by this new food hall for a variety of options until 2am.
- Harbor Town Pub — Visit this laid-back pub (less than a mile from us!) for late night burgers & tacos until 1am.
10.) Have a Nightcap
As a guest at Humphreys, you’ll want to end your evening’s escapades with a beverage at our own Humphreys Backstage LIVE — a combo music club and bar that offers the absolute finest in both tunes, and tipples. Best of all, you’ll be within walking distance of your room when you end your evening with us!
2241 Shelter Island Dr, San Diego, CA 92106
Reserve Your Stay at Humphreys