How Summer Travel Is Shaping Up in San Diego
It’s the understatement of the century to say that the last year has been a tough one for those of us who enjoy exploring the world. The ongoing dangers of COVID-19 have made travel a very challenging prospect for many. There is relief on the horizon, however. Immunization efforts have been both widespread and immensely successful. Case counts are on a sharp decline, and all indications are that we may finally be in the waning days of the pandemic. So if you’re planning some San Diego travel this summer, we’d love to host you on your SoCal adventure.
In light of the improved travel forecast, here’s an update on current San Diego travel restrictions and what you can expect during your stay with us at Humphreys Half Moon Inn.
The Current State of COVID Safety
While it’s true that COVID-19 still remains a serious concern, all indications are that the worst days of the virus may be behind us. Immunity levels are increasing as more Americans receive the vaccine, making the chances of contracting or passing on the virus minimal. California also currently has the lowest per capita case count of any state in the U.S. Although the choice to travel remains an individual one based on personal risk factors, getting away grows safer with each passing day. So for many, the time to plan a summer vacation is now — while the best dates and rates are still available.
Reducing Your Risk
According to ongoing CDC guidelines, basic personal safety measures are still highly recommended. Appropriate face coverings should be worn over the mouth and nose at all times when indoors, as well as within six feet of others outside your immediate party while outdoors. Thorough handwashing (for at least 20 seconds with soap and hot water) should be practiced after touching public surfaces. Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in a purse or pocket for times when handwashing is not possible. Your risks are greatly minimized when you employ a common-sense level of caution.
Openings, Closings, and San Diego Travel Restrictions
As of May 1, 2021, San Diego County is in California’s Orange Tier of leveled restriction. This means that risk levels are considered moderate. Most indoor businesses are open and able to operate under certain specific conditions. As per San Diego County’s COVID-19 Information Page, the following is a partial list of businesses that are permitted to operate given that these conditions are met:
- Restaurants: Open for outdoor service. Indoors can open at 50% capacity or 200 people, whichever is fewer. Live entertainment is allowed.
- Hotels and lodging: Open. Fitness centers can open at 25% capacity. Indoor pools can open.
- Gyms and fitness centers: Indoors at 25% capacity. Indoor pools can open.
- Places of worship: Indoors at 50% capacity recommended.
- Hair salons and barbershops: Open.
- Personal care services (includes nail salons, tattoo, piercing): Open.
- Museums, zoos, and aquariums: Indoors at 50% capacity.
- Movie theaters: Indoors at 50% capacity or 200 people, whichever is fewer.
- Breweries, wineries, and distilleries that serve food: Indoors at 25% capacity or 100 people, whichever is fewer.
- Bars that do not serve food: Outdoors open.
- Family entertainment centers: Outdoors open. Indoors at 25% capacity or 50% capacity if all guests test negative or show proof of full vaccination, with additional restrictions. Includes bowling alleys.
- Outdoor recreational facilities: Open. Sales of food, drink, and alcohol allowed. Campgrounds can open.
- Indoor playgrounds (includes bounce centers, ball pits, laser tag): Open at 25% capacity.
- Amusement parks: Open at 25% capacity, with additional restrictions.
- Live events, including sports or entertainment: Open at 33% capacity in assigned seating.
The office of Governor Gavin Newsom has been very clear regarding the scheduling of restriction projections. Given the current rate of vaccine rollout, the state of California is on track to be fully reopened — restriction-free — by June 15, 2021. If current trends hold, the state means to do away with the color-coded warning system by that date. At a recent press briefing on the subject of California’s pandemic preparedness, Governor Newsom said, “It is time to turn the page on our tier system and begin looking to fully reopen California’s economy. We can now begin planning for our lives post-pandemic.”
Your San Diego Summer
Due to the planned lifting of restrictions, summer fun is once again on the schedule in San Diego. In addition to the usual appeal of area attractions like Balboa Park, SeaWorld San Diego, and the San Diego Zoo, the summer events calendar is beginning to fill with amazing things to do. The exhibits, rides, and entertainment of the San Diego County Fair are all happening from June 11–July 4. San Diego Comic-Con will be holding a special event from July 23–25 (with another edition to follow in November). The 2021 U.S. Open Golf Tournament will be taking place in La Jolla from June 17–20. And the exciting Del Mar Horse Racing Season begins again on July 16. And of course, outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, and water sports are always out there waiting to be explored. No matter where your interests lie, you’ll find great ways to enjoy your time in San Diego.
What to Expect From Your Stay at Humphreys Half Moon Inn
When you stay with us, you can travel with confidence. Not only have we implemented an incredibly stringent level of cleanliness and sanitization throughout our property, but we’re committed to maintaining this above-average standard even as risks diminish. Learn more about our “Your Safety First” Health & Safety Plan here. Additionally, our hotel offers a truly unparalleled level of guest-first amenities — including high-speed Wi-Fi, marina-view and pool-view rooms, access to a waterfront footpath for walking and jogging, a state-of-the-art fitness center, in-room coffee, a poolside bar, available in-room massage service, and exquisite on-site dining. Of course, our stunning Shelter Island location also offers convenient beach and marina access.
When you’re ready to plan your Southern California adventure, be sure to check out our Offers & Specials page to select the travel deal that’s right for you. We look forward to hosting you as you explore all that San Diego has to offer!